Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Internship

My internship with the Alameda County Public Health Department is much more rewarding that what I expected it to be. First, I get to learn a new skill: GIS. I'm going to be geocoding population data (currently working with Social Services) and mapping out information. Second, I get to wrangle information out of people in regard new streets, or other information that the agency can get its hands on. Third, I'm learning a lot of technical skills (which is a little boring), but still important on my resume.

The downside, of course, is that I am unpaid. Despite making zero dollars, I look forward to getting to work and collaborating with my supervisor and other members in the division I'm in. Everyone is super friendly and nice. And, get this, I ENJOYED the staff meeting I attended today. Yes. Unlike my last job, I don't dread waking up wondering WHY I AM HERE.

Another downside is that I have to commute. I drive to the Fremont BART station, which takes about 20 minutes, and then I ride BART into Oakland, which takes about 40 minutes. Even though it takes an hour out of my day, I have the option of reading some stuff for my class. At least I'm not wasting my time sitting in the car.

I really like what the Public Health department does here, or at least the analytical and evaluating part.

No comments: