Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Adventures in the Bay

It has almost been two months since I moved up to San Jose, and in all honesty I haven't done a lot. The first two weeks of my stay in the third largest city in California led me to a wine tasting adventure with my sister, Ray and their friends in Napa. The following weekend I headed out to Yosemite with the usual crew, and the usual excess amount of people on our campsite. I miss camping because I can eat as much as I want and still not feel bad about my food consumption because of all the activity I do. But as usual, I digress.

Things up here have been fairly mellow. I have been going to classes, and I kept up with the reading for the first four weeks. Now I have fallen a little behind. There is one class in particular that I do not care for, but I won't mention which one it is. It requires writing "Reflective Memos" after each assignment. I find these "short memos" (in which case, they are never truly short) to be somewhat helpful, but mostly it annoying and a waste of time. Reflective memos I feel work better as an in class assignment, but that's my opinion.

I met up with an old roommate of mine from UCLA. We lived together our first year when we transferred to UCLA, and then had an unmentioned falling out. Over the years I felt bad for how things went between us, and for a while I thought our rift and differences were enhanced by another roommate, whom shall remain anonymous. Anyway, I met up with her and some mutual friends in the City. That was fun because I don't know San Francisco very well and I got to see some old college friends. We actually met up again last weekend, playing Outburst and Transamerica. It ended up being a double date on accident at a Stanford graduate recreation room. That was a lot of fun too. And yes, Patrick came up to visit me last weekend. I had gone down to Los Angeles the previous weekend.

Patrick and I doing well considering the fact that we had never been separated for a long extended period of time. We see each other about twice a month, whenever possible. We also talk on the phone every night. I miss him a lot. I miss our conversations at night, and watching The Daily Show and The Colbert Report together. I miss our evening walks. Despite our separation, we're managing. Luckily for us, we only live a few hours away by driving or an hour flight's time. It isn't the worst case scenario, but it certainly isn't a great one either way.

When I went back to Los Angeles, I saw Patrick, my family, and my friend Sonya. I went to to the UCLA vs. Fresno State game and met up with my friends Kim and Dan and proceeded with a tailgate. Fresno beat UCLA, but not by much. That is a vast improvement over the last few games UCLA played. I didn't get to see a lot of people when I went down to LA, but at least I saw some of my good friends. Always a plus.

Now I am back in San Jose, going to classes, wishing I was back on the quarter system. The semester goes by so slowly, and it is extremely painful to sit through a class when you dislike it. I'm already on week five of school, and I think to myself, my God if this were UCLA I'd be half way done with this hellish course. Of course, I am not so fortunate. Oh yes, and I brought my bike back with me. Riding around San Jose is like riding around Nebraska. Flat. Whatever strength I had climbing hills quickly diminished when I left my bike in Los Angeles. Now, I feel it is non-existant. Ah well. That's my life in a nutshell.

Please save me.

No comments: