Thursday, January 29, 2009

Adulthood

Patrick and I have been dating for five years, which to some people is a long time. I agree, it is, and I am fine with the long term dating. We're only 25 and 26, respectively, and have other things to finish before we actually get married.

The other day I posted that both of us went into Tiffany's to look at rings. This was due in part that first, Patrick wanted to get a general idea of what ring types I liked. Unfortunately, Tiffany's had the worst selection of rings possible, and this comment goes beyond the engagement ring selection. Second, I have no idea what my ring size is. Being the type of girl I am (simple and unadorned), I figured why not go out and try on some rings. You know, if I can't even find a cute ring to try on, then why bother?

I told a few friends that we both went out looking at rings, and some got excited, others, ahem, were like, how could you just write this all nonchalantly. Honestly, when I think about when I want to get married, how I want the wedding to go down and so on and so forth, the more I seem to gravitate towards a civil ceremony. First, both of us lack the income. Second, we were never into really flashy things. I can't imagine trying to plan a wedding in a year. Like, if I were to get engaged this year, 2010 would actually be the best time for me to get married. More specifically, after both of us (hopefully) finish by early June of 2010 with our studies. That means I will have to be writing my thesis without being distracted with wedding plans and other related pre-marital events. Are you kidding me?

The problem is that Patrick will be applying for his residency later this year. I'm hoping to stay out west, but I always said that wherever Patrick ends up going, I'm following him. I know he won't have a lot of time off during his years in his residency program, so that means that if we got married that period, we would have a delayed honeymoon.

I know some of you are wondering why I'm talking about getting married as if it is a sure thing. Well, we both have been talking about it and we do want to get married to each other. It is just a matter of timing at this point.

I'm still debating whether I want to have kids or not. Oh well, one step at a time!

No comments: