Friday, December 21, 2007

Preparation

It always amazes me to see how much time some people take in preparing themselves for daily tasks. I know, this is coming from a girl (yes I very much concede that I am not an adult yet) who never wears make-up, a pony tail that is her best friend, and owns sneakers that are more expensive then her most expensive pair of dress shoes. But my point isn't to say that women shouldn't get ready and look great for the job, my point is some women in fact, do too much.

I find it such a hassle to put make-up on, but this is primarily due to the fact that I do not know how to properly apply on make-up (don't laugh, even though I went to modeling school - and hated it - when I was younger). Every so often I browse my friends pages on Facebook, and I come across an old acquaintance here and there. But one in particular stands out (I am not revealing names). All these faux additives, such as color contacts, hair dying, painstakingly obvious hoards of make-up caked on the face, makes me actually feel sad for the person because underneath that helping heap of dust, is a naturally beautiful person. This is where I condone society for the exploitation of a woman's weakness. Cynical, aren't I? But I know that many of my female friends and acquaintances do this willingly. I think make-up should enhance and highlight, not replace, your natural features, just as clothes should accentuate your figure. I am not condemning people who wear make-up, but I disagree on people who utilize it to exaggerate an appearance that really does not exist. Whether this is due to being insecure or trying to be fashionable, I find it ridiculous that people go to such extremes and make themselves look awkward.

This entry makes me look kind of out of place considering I can't even apply make-up or dress fashionably or appropriately at times. It isn't as though I do not have a desire to be more try to be more sophisticated or elegant. I do, but for my entire life I have never tried once to persuade people into believing I was something that I am not. My discomfort with make up and fashion stems from this sort of idea I have harbored for a long time: that people should like you for who you are, in your most down to earth appearance. A personal opinion that I have kept close to me for a very, very long time. So to this day I currently feel strange putting on make-up (not so much with dress clothes) because I never wear any. People who know me would instantly know that I have make-up on. And trust me, there is no such thing as "natural looking make-up" if you never use that stuff. I think I've managed to do well, but I know as I am getting older in the professional world, that one day I will have to put on an adult appearance, leaving me no choice but to look older vis-a-vis chemical enhancement. In a sense, I've always been very proud of myself, trying not to fall victim to what society dictates as being "beautiful." I do not believe in dieting; I believe in staying active and eating proportional meals. Youth is a fleeting time, and I firmly believe that with age comes beauty. Anyway, this was just a personal observation I have made.

Well, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. In the end, who am I to judge?

No comments: